Maintaining a patio often means dealing with black spots, which can be stubborn and difficult to remove. Fortunately, with the right techniques and products like RPB Patio Cleaner, you can easily remove those stubborn black spots and prevent them from coming back.
How To Remove Black Spot
Black spots on patio slabs are typically caused by algae, mould, or mildew growth due to moisture and lack of sunlight.
Here’s a step-by-step process to effectively remove them using RPB Patio Cleaner:
- Remove as much loose dirt as possible from the surface being cleaned.
- Carry out a test on a small area to determine the amount of time required for the cleaner to take effect. The effectiveness will vary depending on the level of dirt and grime on the surface being treated.
- Apply the cleaner directly to the surface being treated using a low-pressure sprayer or brush directly onto the surface.
- Apply at a rate of 3-5 sq. meters per litre. Do not dilute or mix the product with any other substance.
- Ensure the surface is saturated with the cleaner and leave for 10-60 minutes.
- The black spot will now be dead but still adhered to the treated surface.
- To remove, rinse with water using a stiff bristle brush
How To Prevent Black Spot on Your Patio
Prevention is key to maintaining a spotless patio. Here are some tips to prevent black spots from returning:
- Regular Cleaning: Periodically clean your patio with a quality patio cleaner to prevent the growth of algae and mould.
- Maximize Sunlight: Trim back overhanging branches or foliage that blocks sunlight from reaching your patio. Sunshine helps inhibit the growth of black spots.
- Improve Drainage: Ensure that your patio has proper drainage to prevent water from pooling, which can create ideal conditions for black spot growth.
- Use Patio Furniture Covers: When not in use, cover your patio furniture to prevent moisture buildup on the paving slabs.
- Apply a Sealer: Applying a patio sealer creates a protective barrier on the slabs. This can make it harder for black spots to take hold.